Spaghetti Squash Pasta with Basil Pesto...
Recipe via Minimalist Baker
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 55 mins
A simple, 9-ingredient spaghetti squash pasta with sun-dried tomato and basil pesto! A light, plant-based meal that's perfect for fall and winter.
Recipe type: Entrée, Side
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
Serves: 2 as entree, 4 as a side
- 1 large or 2 small spaghetti squash
- 1/4 cup (30 g) raw cashews
- 1/4 cup (33 g) toasted pine nuts (or raw walnuts)
- 2 Tbsp (6 g) nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
- 2 cups (~120 g) fresh basil, packed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 1/2 Tbsp or 9 g)
- 3 Tbsp (20 g) sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (if in oil, drain)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
FOR SERVING optional
- Toasted pine nuts
- Vegan parmesan cheese
- Red pepper flakes
- Garlic bread
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and line a large baking sheet with foil.
- Carefully halve spaghetti squash lengthwise using a sharp knife. I find the best way is to pierce the skin with the very tip of the knife and push it all the way through to the other side. Rock the knife back and forth to cut one half all the way through, then repeat on the other side. Use an ice cream scoop (or sharp spoon) to scrape out the seeds and most of the stringy parts.
- Brush the interior with oil and sprinkle with a little salt. Place cut-side down on baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes, or until a knife easily pierces the skin and flesh. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In the meantime, add cashews, pine nuts, nutritional yeast, and sea salt to a blender or food processor and pulse until a fine meal.
- Add basil, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, and olive oil and puree into a fine paste. If it has trouble mixing, add a bit more oil or hot water (2-3 Tbsp) to help encourage it along. It doesn’t need to be finely pureed, just well-mixed. A bit of texture is a good thing in this dish. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Use a fork to scoop out spaghetti squash into fine strings and divide between serving plates. Top with desired amount of pesto and lightly toss.
- Serve with additional toppings as desired (listed above). I prefer red pepper flakes and vegan parmesan cheese.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, though best when fresh. Pasta can be enjoyed hot, chilled, or at room temperature.
Every now and then our pets deserve a day to be pampered just like us! They are always there for us to listen, love and cuddle with. Here are a few of my favorite ways to show appreciation for your furry friends...
Kick–start your pet-pampering day by taking a trip to the salon for a day of much-needed grooming. Aside from your daily or weekly brushing, a good grooming will not only have your pet looking and smelling fabulous, but feeling great as well. Not only is it a great treat, but also a necessity that the entire family can appreciate. Schedule your next appointment at Lucky Dawg Pet Grooming or South Bay Dog Grooming. If visiting the groomer is too much for your fun-filled day, give your pet the most luxurious bath you can give in your own tub. Dr. McGrath’s and Opie and Dixie are both terrific brands that offer the highest quality, natural ingredients. Here are two of my favorite products:
Dr. McGraths: 100% human-grade, PH balanced products for dogs, cats, & horses; free of sulfates, phosphates, & dyes
Opie & Dixie: All-natural, organic and vegan grooming aids for the holistic care of dogs and cats.
A marvelous stay-cation is a must when planning to pamper your pet. Send them to a luxury pet resort like AMG A Pet Resort where they can get walks, group play, special treats, and so much more. If you don’t want to board your pet, plan a trip to the beach or a nice dog park for you and your best furry friend to run around and be carefree for a day.
Showering your pet with gifts is another good way to show your pet just how much you love them. Just like when we feel we have done a job well done buying a nice treat for yourself is a great way to pat yourself on the back. So whether it is a treat and a toy from Pet Foods Market or a cute outfit from D.O.G Boutique, your pet will definitely enjoy the retail therapy.
Whether it’s a spa day, a quick road trip or a shopping spree, showing your pet how much you love them by pampering them for a day is a great way to make the bond between you two even stronger. Only you know exactly what your furry friend will enjoy so if all else fails, dedicate the day to your best friend. Sometimes, being with your best friend is all the therapy you need.